Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2019

What is your favourite app and why?



I have been a smartphone user for about 7 years now and I have been a Product Manager for 5. In this time, I have used countless apps and worked on the development of a few. However, it was only a while back that this thought floated in my head - "Which app do I like the most, and why?" So I a made a list of apps that I know I use the most and draw the most value from . In no particular order, these apps are:
  1. Whatsapp
  2. Kindle
  3. Google Calendar
  4. Gmail
  5. Evernote
  6. Grab
  7. Samsung Internet
  8. Netflix
  9. Google Maps
  10. Waze
  11. LinkedIn
  12. WorkChat (by Facebook)
  13. Skype
  14. Zomato
  15. Banking App
  16. OneDrive
  17. Clock
  18. Spotify
  19. FB Messenger Lite
  20. Amazon Shopping
When I started compiling my list of apps, I realized that the statistics about app usage I have often come across did seem true. Like most people, I use about 10 apps on a daily basis, and around 20 to 30 apps on a monthly basis. Out of this list, the 20 apps listed above are the ones I think I draw the most value from. Another interesting fact is that 14 out of the 20 apps are free to use. And what about the ownership of these apps? 12 out of the 20 apps that I use the most fall under the following Tech empires:
  1. Alphabet: Gmail, Google calendar, Waze, Google Maps
  2. Microsoft: Skype, LinkedIn and Onedrive
  3. Facebook: Whatsapp,Workchat and FB Messenger Lite. I do not have Facebook or Instagram on my phone. Interesting, they are getting all the data to develop AI for Natural language processing.
  4. Amazon: Kindle and Amazon Shopping

After carefully considering how I engage with each of these apps, and the value I derive from them, Whatsapp seems to be clear winner. While I was thinking over the benefits I enjoyed, it dawned upon me that some of these benefits actually fall under Maslow's hierarchy of human needs.

No alt text provided for this image 
 
Whatsapp does a few things, but it does those things so well. It is an excellent app for messaging, sharing files, for audio and video calls. It even allows conference video and audio calls now. As a busy professional, with a working wife, a young child, Whatsapp seems to be the bridge connecting the different parts of my life. I use this app to communicate with my wife, my son, his nanny, my parents, sister, family and friends back in India and other parts of the World. I have different groups on which I am able to stay in touch with these people, who are so important to me. In this fashion, Whatsapp has been able to address my need for "Love/Belonging"

Whatsapp is also helping me learn. I was able to discover a very good group of people from all walks of life and parts of the world, who are all keen learners. We call this group the "Learner's Republic", and this group has been a source of knowledge, motivation and a place to share my thoughts as well. We talk about books, articles, movies and TV shows occasionally and other random topics. It has added a lot of value to my life. As an active member of this group, I have learned a lot and contributed a good number of times, which addresses my urge to learn and share my knowledge. I would say that in this fashion, Whatsapp is addressing my psychological needs for "Love/Belonging" and "Esteem"

I am also conducting business transactions on Whatsapp. As an Indian living in Metro Manila, there aren't many choices available to get good wholesome Indian food. One of the best options I have is a Whatsapp group started by fellow Indians who post menus for lunch and dinner on the group, collect orders and have it delivered. All I have to do is to choose my meal, pay for it online and send a screenshot. And the food promptly arrives. This is noting unique because the same thing can be accomplished through any messaging app. However, in my case, and I am sure there are millions like me, Whatsapp is helping me connect to a product or service provider in a convenient fashion. To an extend, this addresses my physiological needs.

In 2017, Whatsapp launched the live location feature, in which you can share your location with your contact, for 15 minutes, 1 hour or 8 hours. Your location will be updated in real time and be available to the person you shared with for the entire duration. This is such a useful feature. My wife and I use this feature almost on a daily basis, especially when we are traveling separately. And here is the cool part. If two people share their locations with each other simultaneously, and they are both in the same area (same city), they can see each other on the same map, at the same time. So if you are coordinating to meet at a common point, this is the best way to keep track of each other's location. What an amazing feature! I would say that through the live location feature, Whatsapp is addressing my safety needs, primarily because my family and I can keep track of each other very conveniently.

In India, whatsapp has launched a feature to enable payments via Unified Payments Interface. So that's another awesome solution to a common problem a lot of us have. There are so many other features that make this product so great. Take the way the chats sync when you are logged on to Whatsapp for web or desktop. It is almost instantaneous. Take the user interface. Clean, simple and elegant, it makes me want to use the app. The options in the settings are clearly labelled and self-explanatory, for the most part. Whatsapp also has some limitations. For instance, you cannot have a group with more than 256 members. But for the most part, whatever is missing from the app is non-essential for the time being. Everything said and done, it does its job really really well. Is is a surprise then that Whatsapp is the most used messaging app in the world, with 1.5 billion users and 1 billion daily active users? That's right. ONE BILLION people use Whatsapp daily. I fervently hope and pray that Facebook Inc. doesn't abuse this awesome power they have at their disposal. 

I am not aware of the features Whatsapp will be releasing in the future. However, the one thing that I can say for sure is whatever is released will work like a charm. Whatsapp has added a lot of value to users, and I personally wouldn't even mind paying a few dollars a month for it. But, it is free. As the saying goes, the best things in the world are truly free. Or, will Zuckerberg figure out a way to monetize whatsapp without us ever finding out!

That being said, what is your favourite app and why?

No comments: