Pages

Friday, January 11, 2019

Review: Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood

Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was vaguely familiar with Trevor Noah, occasionally coming across his show in Netflix. I also stumbled upon the book numerous times, but besides a glance, I didn't engage with it. Until, I decided to listen to the book, which is narrated by Trevor himself. And I was hooked. Born a crime is tale of Trevor's childhood, his struggles as the son of a struggling single mother, as a colored child who didn't really fit anywhere, in the apartheid era of South Africa. What I appreciate the most about the book is that it is also a first hand account of what the apartheid was all about and how that system worked. The story, in parts is also a biographical account of Patricia Noah, who should be a celebrity of some sorts given how much she has endured without a trace of bitterness or self-pity in her personality, according to her son. I am looking forward to this artist's future works, be it books or stand-up acts.

View all my reviews

No comments: